GIRLS TENNIS: Thursday's roundup, Chambersburg picks up 1st victory of season
LEWISBERRY >> Chambersburg won a trio of close matches and that resulted in the Trojans' first girls tennis victory of the season on Thursday afternoon, a 3-2 Mid Penn Commonwealth Division win over Red Land.
Cassidi Martin won 7-5, 6-4 over Megan Bell at No. 1 singles, and Paige Sideras picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Jenna Snyder.
The Trojans (1-3, 1-1 MPC) then captured the No. 2 doubles match, with Sydney Fischer and Maddison Mellinger prevailing in the 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory.
Chambersburg coach Bill Wissinger said, "Paige's match was the clinching match. The last game must have lasted 10 minutes – it was going back and forth. She was patient in forcing her opponent into the final error.
"We won in the most simplistic way, just keeping the ball in play until your opponent misses. The girls are realizing this, and are making strides and improving."
Chambersburg 3, Red Land 2 at Lewisberry
1. Cassidi Martin (C) d Megan Bell, 7-5, 6-4
2. Sabrina Gisela (RL) d Taryn Brechbill, 6-3, 6-3
3. Paige Sidera (C) d Jenna Snyder, 6-4, 6-4
1. Lexi Hawkes-Jessica Cox (RL) d Emma Guare-Kara Wiley, 7-5, 6-0
2. Sydney Fischer-Maddison Mellinger (C) d Madison Christianson-Courtney Carroll, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2