F-F Highlights: James Buchanan earns Colonial track crown
It's been 12 years since James Buchanan has earned a Mid Penn division title in track & field.
But the wait is over after the Rocket boys crushed Waynesboro 113-37 in a Colonial Division meet Monday afternoon. JB finished with a 6-0 record, 5-0 in the Colonial.
"We didn't have this expectation because we had only 26 boys on the roster," James Buchanan coach Jason Cotton said. "So we took a different route and concentrated more on quality rather than quantity, and we changed our practice schedule a little.
"Even with the girls' record (0-6, 0-5 MPC), they helped out with the boys' success. When the season started we had only three coaches, and the kids banded together to help each other. It's just been a special season."
For JB, Jamal Riley collected three firsts, in the 100 (11.2), 200 (22.4) and long jump (20-8.25), Dalton Leab won the 1600 (4:41) - beating the former area record by six seconds - and 3200 (10:45). Clayton Bendell hit 6-2 to win the high jump.
The Rockets won MPC titles in both boys and girls in 2005.
MUCH-NEEDED WIN: The Chambersburg boys volleyball team, ranked No. 11 in District 3 3A before Monday, helped its cause with a 3-0 win over York Suburban, ranked No. 4 in 2A.
The Trojans won a tight second game, 31-29, to help pull out the win.
"It was a big match for us," Chambersburg coach Marta Helfrick said. "We played well from start to finish. We're close to the chopping block for the playoffs and we needed to win."
Dalton Strite piled up 10 kills, four aces and 17 digs for the Trojans. He got help from Kellen Stepler (37 assists), Nate Walker (10 kills), Trey Stepler (15 digs) and William Simmers (8 kills, 4 blocks).
- Shalom Christian crushed Calvary 22-1 and 14-0 in an MDCC doubleheader. Colby Maun had 3 hits and Mike White was 2-for-2 in the opener, and Micah Lehman, Aden Priest and Isaac Lance had multiple hits in the second game.
- Lizzie Pittman hurled a 4-hit shutout to lead James Buchanan over Trinity, 5-0. Jenna Mongold had 2 hits and a pair of RBIs, and Maria Burkett, Grace Amsley and Brooke Pittman also had 2 hits.
Track & field
- At Saturday's Cedar Cliff Relays, Chambersburg's girls set two school records. Jocelyn Kibbe (10-6) and Jaelynn Walker (10-0) both set personal bests and combined for a school record 20-6 and first place in the pole vault. In the shuttle hurdles, Sydnie Gilbert, Ansley Runk, Morgan Mentzer and Caroline Hance were second in a time of 1:08.68. The Trojans also won the distance medley (Kaylee Mowery, Cadie Kiser, Abby Yourkavitch, Sydney Parson), 4x100 relay (Breya Clopper, Gilbert, Ariana Appenzellar, Camryn Greenlee), shot put (Deja Winkler, Reagan Winebrenner) and discus (Halei Risbon, Winebrenner).
- For the Trojans boys at Cedar Cliff, Myles Braxton and Kelton Chastulik combined to win the discus and discus events.
- Waynesboro's girls edged James Buchanan 76-74, but for the Rockets, Siara Gossert won the discus and javelin.
- Cassie Oberholzer headed in a corner kick from Brooke Emge for the game's only goal as Shalom Christian edged Calvary Christian 1-0, although they outshot Calvary, 35-6.
- Emily Bard had 2 goals and an assist, and Tori Stouffer and Kyleigh Teal each had a goal and an assist to help Cumberland Valley Christian roll over Broadfording, 10-1. Nine different Blazers posted a goal.
Shalom Christian (9-3, 7-3 MDCC) 22-14, Calvary Christian 1-0
Greencastle-Antrim (10-5, 7-1 MPC) 6, Shippensburg (9-5, 6-2 MPC) 4
James Buchanan (7-8) 5, Trinity 0
Track & field
Boys: James Buchanan (6-0, 5-0 MPC) 113, Waynesboro 37
Girls: Waynesboro 76, James Buchanan (0-6, 0-5 MPC) 74
Chambersburg (9-4) 3, York Suburban 0
Chambersburg (3-8) 11, Harrisburg Christian 9
Cumb. Valley Christian (5-5, 5-5 MDCC) 10, Broadfording 1
Shalom Christian (9-3, 7-3 MDCC) 1, Calvary Christian 0